All fans of indoor training and weightlifting have been waiting for several months for the reopening of training centers in order to be able to continue their routine. While many took the opportunity to do a home gym, others did workouts with body weight and / or with some accessories. Many others have opted for other methods of maintaining fitness, such as running or cycling.e vélo.
The followers of weightlifting know all the beneficial effects of it and very few manage to find their account in the medium / long term without this method. A marathon runner will be open to changing discipline for a short period of time if he has to, but he will find satisfaction only when he can start running again. The same goes for lovers of indoor training.alle.
People who have not had access to a home gym will have to follow a few guidelines so that the return to training goes well physically and mentally.t.
Here are some simple tips to follow:
Routine and better lifestyles
One of the most positive points of the reopening of gyms is the possibility for many to find a routine that is beneficial to their health. Have a moment for them, set a schedule see the article Make a goal a habit, not just a resolution!!, motivation to eat healthier See: « Sunday Meal Prep for Healthy Eatingt, stress relief, improved sleep, feeling good about yourself, relieving muscle tension and more..
Taking care of yourself for 60 minutes through a physical activity that you enjoy is an important link in the initiation of healthy lifestyles.e.
Take the time to make a schedule so that you can take advantage of it!
Get enough and good sleep. Don't forget about sleep.as.
Training planning, your programe
The 1st week
- Go gradually. Reduce the frequency and volume of training and wake up your muscles no more and no less. An injury could happen quickly if you start over where you left off.té.
- Take small enough loads to feel the contraction, but definitely submaximal against your capacity. This will allow you to make good progress and your body will have an additional stimulus every week; the principle of overload.
- Your workout should energize you, not exhaust you.r.
- Go choose thevitamins and supplements, that will help you maximize your goals.
- Focus on muscle contraction in isolation. Now is a great time to use the machines. You will be more stable and focused on the muscle to be worked..
- Work on your mobility with each workout.
- Avoid training methods that strain the same muscle more such as supersets, drop sets, eccentric work or high reps..
The 2nd week
- Think rehabilitation, stabilization Work muscles like the rotator cuff, vastus internal / external of the knee, lower back, calves, middle glutes, lower trapezius, obliques ... Taking the time to do targeted exercises will be good in your progression. Now is the time to rebuild an effective fortress to become stronger and free from injury afterwards.e.
- If working those muscles bothers you, incorporate them into your warm-ups and repeat a target exercise in the middle and at the end of your workout.
The 3rd week
- You can increase the frequency of training without increasing the volume. Remember that moving more often but for a shorter time will always be the best thing to do..
- If you have active recovery sessions and a good smart routine, you might even hit the gym seven times a week to get into your new routine. You could lift weights 5 times a week and focus on mobility and cardiovascular work 2 times a week. And this is just one idea among many. An experienced trainer will guide you.der.
- Don't be hard on yourself. Remember that it has been months since you went to the gym. Be grateful and give yourself time. Excellence is not perfection.ion.
The 4th week
- If you haven't already, hire a trainer who can assess your current physical condition and help you optimize your return and your goals.s.
- If you don't have a workout plan, now is the time to fix it. You will start to lift some loads again gradually, and now is the time to do it smartly.t.
- One of the most frequent errors remains in the lack of consistency in the succession of training sessions. A linear progression over time is a guarantee of success. Don't make the mistake of free for all in the coming weeks.ir.
Whether you have been particularly stressed or not! faced with the multiple facets of this pandemic, it will be important to see the training with lightness and benevolence. Training should be part of your recovery, not putting an additional burden on you physically and mentally.ent.
Find a way to have fun..
- Listening to music you love
- Be with a pleasant training partner and at the same pace as you when you come back..
- Have a coach by your side
I wish you all a good feedback!
Go get it!
Article written by Émilie Provencher
Co-Owner of Center Équilibre Performance Nutrition / Professional Athlete