A fougasse is a Provençal bread with a soft crust, a thick and soft crumb, made from flour, yeast and olive oil, which can be slightly sweetened or embellished with onions, black olives, anchovies. or bacon.
A fougasse is served as an aperitif accompanied by marinated buffala mozzarella, olives, raw ham and a nice tomato salad with dark balsamic.
Preparation: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 300 g. of water
- 1 C. teaspoon ofyeast dehydrated baker
- 500 g. regular flour or Gluten Free flour
- 1 C. salt
- 1 C. tablespoons of Italian seasoning or herbs from Provence
- 30 g. ofsweet olive oil
- 60 g. pitted olives
- 100 g. diced mozzarella
- 10 g. fresh basil leaves
- 40 g. prosciutto in strips
- 1 C. teaspoon fleur de sel or Guérande salt
- Place the water and yeast in the bowl. Cool 3 minutes.
- Add the flour, Italian seasoning, salt and olive oil. Knead 3 minutes without a cup.
- Add the prosciutto, pitted olives, fresh basil leaves and diced mozzarella. Knead 20s with a cup. Let rise in the bowl for 30 min with the cup.
- Preheat the oven to 425F and prepare a baking sheet covered with parchment paper oiled with olive oil with a brush..
- At the end of the growing time, degas the dough in the bowl and knead for 30s. Pour the batter onto the oiled parchment paper. With oiled fingers, coarsely roll out the dough then make 6 notches, about 6 cm wide, on the cob. Lift and stretch the dough to open these notches.s.
- Brush the top of the fougasse with olive oil and sprinkle with fleur de sel.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 425F..
- Optionally, out of the oven, apply a little olive oil with a brush on the surface of the fougasse.
* CONSERVATION : 2 days. Iron in the oven a few minutes before tasting (or in a toaster)
* VARIANTS You can easily change the garnishes: just olives, just cheese, etc. But be careful not to exceed 200 g. maximum toppings..
ENJOY YOUR MEAL!
This recipe is a creation of the collaborator of Olives et Gourmandises, FANNÉLIE STAMMÉGNA.