Almond milk is a delicious and healthy alternative to cow's milk for those looking to reduce their dairy intake. The almond drink is also popular with vegans and lactose intolerant people. However, commercial versions may contain unwanted additives and preservatives. Fortunately, it's easy and inexpensive to make your own almond drink from organic raw almonds.
Here is a simple recipe for making your own almond drink at home:
- 1 cup oforganic raw almonds
- 4 cups of water
- A pinch of sea salt (optional)
- Natural sweetener (optional)
- Soak organic raw almonds in water overnight or for at least 6 hours. This will allow the almonds to become softer and easier to blend.
- Drain and rinse the almonds in cold water.
- Put the soaked almonds in a blender with 4 cups of water. If you want a creamier almond drink, use less water. If you want a lighter almond drink, use more water.
- Blend everything on high speed for about 2 minutes, or until the almonds are completely crushed and the drink is smooth.
- Pour the almond drink into a sieve lined with cheesecloth or an almond milk bag. Squeeze the mixture to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Add a pinch of sea salt and a natural sweetener if desired. You can use maple syrup, honey or dates to sweeten your almond drink.
- Transfer the almond drink to an airtight glass bottle and store it in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Almonds can be used with or without their skins to make your homemade almond drink. However, most people prefer to use blanched almonds for a smoother, less grainy almond drink.
If you use unshelled almonds to make your almond drink, you may notice that the texture will be grainier and there will be more residue in the sieve. Additionally, the skin of the almonds can impart a slight bitterness to the drink.
If you want a smoother, residue-free almond drink, it's best to use blanched almonds. You can easily shell your almonds by soaking them in boiling water for a minute, then rinsing them in cold water. The skin should come off easily when you pinch them between your fingers.
However, if you prefer to use unpeeled almonds, it will still work great and make nutritious and delicious almond milk. It's a matter of personal preference.
Voila, your homemade almond drink is ready to enjoy! You can also use leftover pressed almonds to make pastries or smoothies. Making your own almond drink is easy, economical, and gives you control over the ingredients you use. Try it today and enjoy all the goodness of almonds!