These days, we hear more and more about mental health, and it will grow older. This subject, unfortunately still taboo, is so topical that it is hoped that prejudices will fall and that acceptance will be easier, that discomfort will disappear.nt.
Certain behaviors can have an impact on our well-being and our mood, as they have a direct impact on our body. Of course, we will NEVER tell you to replace your medication with sports, but it can really help. Here is an explanatory overview:
Hormones, the famous hormones ...
Mostly, four hormones secreted by the body have an impact on our happiness / mood.
- Dopamine: responsible for moods, the secretion of this hormone is caused by situations assessed as pleasant by our brain, such as reaching goals..
- Lendorphin: recognized as the hormone of happiness with a capital H and well-being, it has pain-relieving effects, calms, and reduces stress and anxiety. It is produced under considerable effort.le.
- Serotonin: the molecule of tone, arousal and energy, the regulator of our mood. It naturally regulates sleep, fatigue, morale and hormones. Its secretion is facilitated by physical activity and exposure to the sun.eil.
- Oxytocin: the social hormone: it is produced by positive social relationships. It creates a feeling of trust. It facilitates interactions and mutual aid behaviors.e.
An imbalance in these hormones can have serious consequences on our mental health and lead to depression. A healthy and natural way to reduce this imbalance is to be active, to play sports. Sport acts on neurotransmitters in the brain, which in turn affect our behavior and mood..
On the one hand, as mentioned above, our body secretes dopamine when reaching a goal. The pleasure felt in reaching this goal pushes us to want to start the experience again. You have a long-term goal You want, for example, to run a 5km, a half-marathon, to lose 20 lbs Why not divide your goal by level One step at a time, achieving micro-goals will increase your dopamine production, and therefore of pleasure! plaisir!
Then, it only takes 30 minutes of physical activity for the brain to secrete the endorphins molecules and to start feeling the effects. By physical activity, here we mean an endurance sport, not a simple quiet walk. A good physical effort, such as jogging, tennis, swimming, soccer, etc.! In the short term, we recognize pleasure, calm and its anti-pain effects as effects, but it is also known to limit the effects of prolonged stress.gé.
Serotonin, for its part, is recognized to be involved in the phenomena of depression. Its secretion is facilitated by physical activity, by good self-esteem and by sunlight. And let's admit that our body produces too much We do not have to worry, the surplus of serotonin is recovered to be used by our body when energy is needed, or transformed, for example into melatonin, the sleep hormone. Nothing is lost, nothing is created, everything is transformed, said Antoine Lavoisier.avoisier.
And locytocin in all of this. Nothing beats a compliment or a hug to secrete it. Physical activity is not a big deal, but you have to raise your arms to hug! ok, I'm kidding ...!e...!)
We can't say it enough, playing sports is taking care of yourself. But if you are struggling with anxiety, depression or stress, on the one hand, go see your doctor, if you haven't already. Depression is a serious illness, and neither sport nor diet can replace medication. But oh! that it can help recovery, or prevention.ion.
Wishing you good sport!
- Champagne, Marie-Andrée, Happiness is hormonal Éditeur de lHomme, 2018.8.
Article written by Audrée Hogue