These days, we hear more and more about mental health, and it will grow older. This subject, unfortunately still taboo, is so topical that it is to be hoped that the prejudices disappear and that the acceptance is easier, that the discomforts disappear.
Certain behaviors can have an impact on our well-being and our mood, because they have a direct impact on our body. Of course, we will NEVER tell you to replace your medication with a sporting activity, but it can really help. Here is an explanatory overview:
Hormones, the famous hormones ...
Mostly, four hormones secreted by the body have an impact on our happiness / mood.
- Dopamine: responsible for moods, the secretion of this hormone is caused by situations our brain assesses as pleasurable, such as reaching goals.
- Endorphin: Recognized as the hormone of happiness with a capital H and well-being, it has pain-relieving effects, calms, and reduces stress and anxiety. It is produced under considerable effort.
- Serotonin: the molecule of tone, arousal and energy, the regulator of our mood. It naturally regulates sleep, fatigue, morale and hormones. Its secretion is facilitated by physical activity and exposure to the sun.
- Oxytocin: the social hormone: it is produced by positive social relationships. It creates a feeling of trust. It facilitates interactions and mutual aid behaviors.
An imbalance in these hormones can have serious consequences on our mental health and lead to depression. A healthy and natural way to reduce this imbalance is to be active, to play sports. Sport acts on neurotransmitters in the brain, which in turn affect our behavior and mood.
On the one hand, as mentioned above, our body secretes dopamine when reaching a goal. The pleasure felt in achieving this goal prompts us to want to repeat the experience. You have a long term goal You want, for example, to run a 5km, a half marathon, to lose 20 lbs Why not divide your goal by level One step at a time, reaching the micro-goals will increase your production of dopamine, and therefore fun!ir!
Then, it only takes 30 minutes of physical activity for the brain to secrete the endorphins molecules and to start feeling the effects. By physical activity, here we mean endurance sport, not just a quiet walk. A good physical effort, such as jogging, tennis, swimming, soccer, etc.! In the short term, we recognize pleasure, calm and its anti-pain effects as effects, but it is also known to limit the effects of prolonged stress.
Serotonin, for its part, is recognized to be involved in the phenomena of depression. Its secretion is made easier by physical activity, good self-esteem and sunlight. And let's admit that our body produces too much of it We don't have to worry, the surplus of serotonin is recovered to be used by our body in case of need for energy, is transformed, for example into melatonin, the sleep hormone . "Nothing is lost, nothing is created, everything is transformed" said Antoine Lavoisier.r.
And oxytocin in it all. Nothing beats a compliment or a hug to secrete it. Physical activity isn't a big deal, but you have to raise your arms to hug! (ok, I'm kidding ...!))
We cannot say it enough, playing sports is taking care of yourself. But if you are struggling with anxiety, depression or stress, on the one hand, go see your doctor, if you haven't already. Depression is a serious illness, and neither exercise nor diet can replace medication. But oh! that it can help recovery, or prevention.
Wishing you good sport!
- Champagne, Marie-Andrée, Is happiness hormonal Éditeur de l'Homme, 2018..
Article written by Audrée Hogue